httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Burden" <...@burden.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Hide url into browser - Getting OT
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:16:16 GMT
Yeh...ditto that. Not to mention the fact that your content is pretty much
hidden from search engines (despite claims to the contary).

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@swx.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 9:52 AM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Hide url into browser - Getting OT

> -----Original Message-----
> From: PMilanese@nypl.org [mailto:PMilanese@nypl.org]
>
> Ewww... Flash is bad... Bad bad bad...

That was precisely my point.

The poster wants to emulate the horrible "functionality" of flash with HTML.
I was hoping he would realise that this is wrongthink and abandon his mad
quest...

BTW - I hate Flash with a vengeance. There is a particular performer whom I
want to see in concert and who is about to do a tour. On his website he has
a "Tours" page which just says "No dates yet - check back soon". Now if this
was a nice HTML site, I could just bookmark tours.html and click on it every
morning and in about 2 secs I'd know whether the tour dates were announced
or not. However, the entire site is Flash... So, I have to wait about 1
minute for the homepage to load and the movie to start, then I have to click
through three levels (each loads a new movie) until I get to the tours page.
The whole process takes 3 minutes (I timed it). It is no suprise that in
colloquial English the word "flash" is used to describe something which is
outwardly impressive but which has no real substance (flash jewellery, flash
cars etc.) Flash is for presentation, not information.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle