httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Connection reset errors when using mod_proxy to connect to IIS .....
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:38:30 GMT
Would you by any chance be using Internet Explorer? Have you tried any other browser than IE?

Have you tried
BrowserMatch "MSIE" nokeepalive ssl_unclean_shutdown

-ascs

________________________________

De : Matthew McHugh [mailto:mmchugh@arrow.com]
Envoyé : jeudi 3 mars 2005 03:15
À : users@httpd.apache.org
Objet : [users@httpd] Connection reset errors when using mod_proxy to connect to IIS .....

Hello,

I am running various versions of apache (1.3.28 -> 1.3.33).  I have mod_ssl compiled in
and mod_proxy compiled in (not loaded as a DSO).  When I proxy into an IIS (6.0) server running
on Windows 2003 I get the following errors:

[Wed Mar  2 19:41:07 2005] [error] [client 12.96.192.84] (131)Connection reset by peer: proxy:
error reading from http://servername/images/Shared/spacer.gif.  It is only when I am accessing
this site over https (the proxy to the .NET/IIS server is over http), but the virtual host
on apache listens on both http and https.  It also resets on other files (not just .gif files)
like .css, .js .etc ....

Here's a snippet of my virtual host settings:

<VirtualHost masked ip:80>
ServerAdmin admin@blah.com
DocumentRoot "masked docroot"
ServerName www.maskedname.com
ErrorLog logs/maskedname_com-error.log
TransferLog logs/maskedname_com-access.log
ProxyRequests Off
    ProxyPass / http://172.16.17.138/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://172.16.17.138/
</VirtualHost>

This works fine.  The webclient accesses the smae site over http and it is fine, the problem
here is in my second virtual host that listens on https, but still proxies to the .NET IIS
environment over http (the communication back to the client is still secure it is just not
encrypted between the apache proxy server and the internal .NET, IIS server).  Here's the
snippet of the virtual host that is causing problems:

<VirtualHost masked ip:443>
DocumentRoot "masked docroot"
ServerName www.maskedname.com
ServerAdmin admin@blah.com
ErrorLog logs/maskednamel_com_ssl_error.log
TransferLog logs/maskedname_com_ssl_access.log
SSLEngine on
SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
SSLCertificateFile  conf/ssl.crt/maskedname_com.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl.key/maskedname_com.key
SSLProtocol all
#SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+EXP:+eNULL
ProxyRequests Off
    ProxyPass / http://172.16.17.138/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://172.16.17.138/
</VirtualHost>

I am able to recreate this using any of the above stated apache versions.  What seems to be
hanging is that the site eventually loads, but it hangs when loading the gif files or .css
files, or loading the .js files.  When I access the http version of the site, it is fine,
it's just when I do https.  I proxy all of the time (our app servers are never hit directly,
always via apache) and I have never had problems in the past.  I have also proxied internally
to an IIS 5.0 server running on Windows 2000 without issues.  It just seems to be an issue
with IIS running on Windows 2003.  There is one google hit on this and it points to Windows
2003, with a solution of removing the PorxyPassReverse directive which I have done with no
positive effect.

I am pretty much at a loss here.  The IIS server is fine without the proxy, the apache proxy
is fine hitting other backend environments.  It seems to be an inter-operability issue.  If
this is not the appropriate forum then please advise and I will re-post to that location

Thanks for the help.

Matt