httpd-users mailing list archives

From Yolinda Koblanski <yolin...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] errordocs and 301 error help!!
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:39:18 GMT
Im still having issues on this. There is already a custom 404 error file in place and working
fine. So.. I decided to try and place the custom 500 error file in the same dir as the 404
error file and then try and access directly, using http://myhost.mypath/404/500.html . Something
to note here is that I can access http://myhost/mypath/404/404.html (custom html comes up
fine) Another thing to note here is the results of accessing the 500 file. I get a 404 error.
But its not the custom 404 error. It appears to be default.

Im at a loss to explain why I cannot access a different file name in an accessible directory..
anyone???

Joshua Slive <jslive@gmail.com> wrote:
[Sorry, I meant to reply to the list. Sending my reply to your reply
back there.]

On Apr 8, 2005 5:10 PM, Yolinda Koblanski wrote:

> Following is the response I get. Im trying to catch the 500 error so when I
> set conditions properly to give 500 error, I get the standard 500 error
> message and the following tacked onto the bottom of the page.
>

> "Additionally, a 301 Moved Permanently error was encountered while trying to
> use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "
> There is some problem or setting or something as to why my 500 doc wont be
> displayed. Not sure why..
>
> No proxy. Nothing worthwhile in the error log. This is pretty strange.
>
> Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 3:15 PM, Yolinda Koblanski wrote:
> > DocumentRoot /usr/HTTPServer/htdocs
> > ErrorDocument 500 /500/http_500.html
> >
> > Directory 500 exists under /usr/HTTPServer/htdocs, file http_500.html
> exists
> > under the 500 dir.
> >
> > This results in the 301 error. Not sure why.
>
> What does the error log say? What exactly does the error look like?
> Can you give us a URL showing the problem? 301 isn't an "error" per
> se, it is a redirect. Are you sure there isn't some kind of proxy
> server operating in front of apache?

Try accessing the error document directly
(http://yourhost.example.com/500/http_500.html). You'll probably find
that you are redirected someplace else. This would be cause by a
Redirect or RewriteRule in your httpd.conf.

Joshua.