httpd-users mailing list archives

From Shashank Bhide <shash...@biochem.okstate.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_auth loaded?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:09:22 GMT
Craig Dunigan wrote:
>>What would I have to do, other than upgrade, to get .htaccess working?
> Hard to say, since you haven't told us yet what isn't working, and how it
> fails.  :)

I have setup a Virtual host on this server with the .htacess permission
on one of its sub directories (docs/)

This is how I proceeded to have .htaccess working:

1. htpasswd -c /etc/httpd/conf/.htpasswd username
2. Entered the passwd when prompted
3. Created a .htaccess under "docs" directory

contents of .htaccess
AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName EnterPassword
AuthType Basic
require user username

4. Edited httpd.conf file to include this directive
<Directory /path/to/docs >
     AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

When I restart apache after making the changes, and try to get to the
docs directory, I get the default index.php page. There is no error
logged in the error logs either!

Thanks,
Shashank