httpd-users mailing list archives

From <p...@bilberry-c.com>
Subject [users@httpd] tracking user clicks thru a session id - G Spillman
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:23:29 GMT
Graham,

I'd definately appreciate getting an inside view into what you have
implemented.
Regards,
Pete.

NB Please cc to stokesp@quinn-direct.com as this email addy is getting
flooded with rubbish, so i'd probably miss your reply again, like below !

>From : graham.rj.spillman - graham.rj.spillman@<protected>
Date : 2005/04/18 12:00:47

Pete

I have written a log analyser in VBA which runs in Excel
Couldn't persuade Analog to do it for me with the results I want.

My need was to focus on response time, so I've added %T to a custom log
formatas below
   LogFormat "%h %t %T \"%r\" %>s %b" performance

My code identifies individual users as it scans the access log
I use IP address to identify users.
You may need to use your SSL string instead - in principle no difference.

It would not be difficult to modify the code in the IPAddress collection to
record what you are looking for and then spit this out on a spreadsheet on
change of day or reaching access log EOF.

I already produce for each page requested the following
(which thereby intrinsically includes the count of D (#Hits) which you need):
   #Hits
   Min response, Median response, Mean response, Max response
   ditto for Bytes returned
   + the page ID requested

There are filtering facilities to get rid of requests for GIFs, Java status
requests etc

... it's all documented too  :o)

I scan up to 10,000 log lines/sec
Perl would do it faster no doubt, but Windoze Excel is good enough for me

Post a reply if you're interested further

Graham