httpd-users mailing list archives

From NetSuporte <netsupo...@superig.com.br>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 10:58:13 GMT
For the novice the message it sends for DDNS configuration is use TZO or
don't configure DDNS here.

My objective is to have complete control, for now I am trying both the
DynDNS and the TZO  (free versions)  until I figure this out and it is
working. So far Apache2 is running fine my problem is access to my web
server from outside my local net.

Perhaps this is not where to go for my DNS issues. I am very grateful
for any help I can get though ( I tend to over complicate things).

 As it goes I am using Debian 3.1 and I am finding that a few things
have changed since I read about DNS configuration, as an example the
instructions step-by-step I have to setup a DNS server are not valid
with Debian as they decided to split the "named.conf" file into several
small conf files and move the "named" stuff all into /etc/bind. It makes
since but for a beginner jumping from file to file to understand
examples is a pain in the ass.

Bottom line it is still not working my California office cannot find my
website in Brazil.

One document I read says use local IP in the /etc/host for my system,
another says use the "assigned" IP from my ISP which is displayed on the
router interface and via the DynDNS/TZO control panels. Also I have
conflicting examples of what to put in "resolv.conf" and how to assign
my IP's or a single IP to 1) my system  2) the web host/server  3) the
DNS server 4) virtual hosts

Once I sort this out I should have enough knowledge to back out of
DynDNS and TZO as they only add additional "Domain" issues
the domain I want is not used anywhere and I don't like the "free"
choices I am given. I don't want to work "in the box" or "outside the
box" I want to work as if there is "no box" after all who said I have to
pay to use the Internet, it is bad enough I need to pay to access it,
however I offset this cost by using VOIP to eliminate by phone bills,
but that is another forum all together.

Please keep the advice and suggestions coming.

thanks too all who respond ( even the other old folks ;-)

-Philip