httpd-users mailing list archives

From NetSuporte <netsupo...@superig.com.br>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 13:19:09 GMT

Robert Zagarello wrote:

>Phillip,
>
>I sympathize with your network issues.  All I can
>offer is some general guidelines to assist in
>debugging where the real problem(s) are occurring.
>Sometimes network problems are far from
>straightforward and yes can be a pain in the arse.
>
>What I suggest is for you to try to simplify your
>access issues from outside your network using
>small-step test scenarios (and I apologize if this
>sounds way too general, not to sound like you haven't
>tried doing this already, but just in case you haven't
>tried this thinking - often it is easier to help
>someone than to help yourself).  Sometimes all it
>takes is to hear something truly irrelevant to help
>with a problem, and that is what is best about forums.

Thanks Robert,

I understand this very well as I can usually help a client step through
a problem better than I can help myself.
I think it is because we inherently have too much knowledge about what
we are trying to do, kinda a forest for the trees issue.

> For example:
>
>1. Get your internet access working with SSH before
>trying to get it to work with your web service.

I can sftp and ssh (telnet) to the server from the local net. ( it is
the only way I can go from one computer to the other)
I need to find away to login to a remote site and ssh back to the
server, right now I only have the three computers on my local lan for
testing. I am assuming this means SSH is working.

>2. Another is to try accessing using your IP address
>only when testing, because this removes the name
>translation dependency.

I try both each time I change something.

>3.  It has been my experience that browser access via
>web service introduces issues not normally involved
>with network access.  For example, if you haven't
>rebooted or restarted your web browser and your
>address on your web server has changed, your browser
>may "remember" it in cache and not accept the new IP,
>leading one to believe it is a network issue when in
>fact it is the stupid browser (IE does this for
>example).

Good idea, as I am having access tested by a friend outside my network
and he leaves his computer on 24/7 and more than likely does not exit
his browser. I'll check this out. On the local side I have done this and
I can see the website by the name or IP, BTW I have assigned a special
port to avoid the ISP blocking access ie port 8222 instead of port 80.

>4.  Remember that your web server needs to find you on
>the remote side and this is what hosts and perhaps
>resolv.conf on your web server is good for, and that
>different OSs may handle resolv.conf differently (I
>haven't had the need to mess with resolv.conf, for
>example, in NetBSD, because I use DHCP).

I use DHCP only for the windows machines that are used by the rest of
the users.
For my Linux machines I have assigned IP addresses outside the
router/DHCP range due to application dependencies that need the same IP
to function properly.

>5.  Remember that your web server, if on a private
>LAN, is NATted through your router, and that you have
>to tell different pieces of network access software
>the right IP for a given name to work.  For example,
>I've had to put my router's IP in my web server's
>hosts file because otherwise it will translate itself
>to its private LAN address when using its FQDN and
>won't go to DNS to find it (this doesn't mean it will
>work that way for another OS, for example).

I did not try to put the router's IP in the servers host file because
when I type the "route" command it router IP is the default.
Is this not the same idea?