httpd-users mailing list archives

From AE <aen...@terra.es>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Forbidden
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 21:26:00 GMT
Greetings Jirka and others,

I need to better understand what security implications I may have created with
changes made to the httpd.conf file. I appear to have success with my Vhosted
Suse box! Can someone explain the changes I made to the Directory and Should
I use the .htaccess file instead (not that I know how)?

# forbid access to the entire filesystem by default
<Directory />
    Options None
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

# use .htaccess files for overriding,
AccessFileName .htaccess
# and never show them
<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

It seems the default httpd.conf setting is set to deny everyone access to all
files. I thought this was superseded by the permissions given later in the
section for Vhosts.

Regards,

Albert Engle