httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Strategies for debugging a segmentation fault on a production ser ver
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:11:12 GMT
On 6/21/05, Michael Caplan <michael.caplan@lechateau.ca> wrote:
> I am looking for some advice on how to go about debugging Apache 1.3.33 /
> PHP 5.0.4 on a production Linux box (RHE 3).  The scenario is this:  Once a
> day we find a segfault in our apache logs.  From our current position, we
> don't know what page was accessed, and our 400+ users haven't brought the
> issue to our attention.  All we know is the date/time and PID of when the
> segfault occurred.  The question is this:  how can we go about isolating the
> offending requested page that bombs?

With a little luck, you can get apache to leave you a core file that
can later be loaded in gdb to find the problem.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#coredumpdirectory

Another alternative is mod_log_forensic:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_log_forensic.html
which is designed to isolate requests that cause a crash.

Joshua.