httpd-users mailing list archives

From Minnesota Slinky <mnsli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Is my assumption right about DocumentRoot?
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:04:59 GMT
On Jul 5, 2005, at 8:56 AM, wayne wrote:

> All directories and subdirectories under
> DocumentRoot are visible to Apache.
> My DocumentRoot points to /var/www.
> Under this I have directory A and under
> this I have directory B with the file
> favicon.ico. Apache informs me, in the
> error.log, that file /var/www/favicon.ico
> can not be found.The path should be
> /var/www/A/B/favicon.ico. What's
> the best way to fix this?
> Thanks.

I think you're slightly misunderstanding the use of DocumentRoot.
Items such as favicon.ico, robots.txt, etc, are required to be in
your web server's root directory, otherwise know as DocumentRoot.
So, the way to fix this is to move /var/www/A/B/favicon.ico to /var/
www/favicon.ico.  Apache is not going to search every file and/or
directory within DocumentRoot for the files it wants.

Hope this helps.