httpd-users mailing list archives

From Minnesota Slinky <mnsli...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] SSL and redirects...
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2005 17:53:05 GMT
Hello List,

I just joined, as I've had little need for assistance because my web
servers have always been relatively vanilla in configuration.

Today, I'm trying to get SSL setup on my apache2 web server.  This
has gone extremely well.  The hard part for me is forcing people to
use a website in the SSL mode, rather than just plain old text.
There's a few problems.  The people using this site are not going to
remember to enter https:// with they type the site name.  Also, this
particular site is based almost entirely on phpBB, which has many
references to the full website address, including the http:// at the
beginning.

Here's what I need from you:

1) I have determined that the best way to combat this is through the
rewrite engine.  I currently have the following as part of that
virtual host:

         ReWriteEngine On
         ReWriteRule ^/(.*) https://www.mysite.com$1 [R,L]

This works fairly well, unless the link within phpBB contains the
full http://i-want-to-go-here.com/mypage/here.html  What gives?  The
documentation was not easy for me to understand, so my rule is
probably pretty bad.  I'm guessing there is some way to filter this
based on the ReWriteCond HTTPS=off or something.  Help please?

2) Windows and Internet Explorer seem to continuously give errors
about only some parts of the page being secure, etc.  I'm assuming
this error will go away as soon as you folks help me correct my
syntax in the above statement.

Thanks GREATLY in advance.