httpd-users mailing list archives

From Udo Rader <udo.ra...@bestsolution.at>
Subject [users@httpd] "Out of memory" logging format
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:57:47 GMT
Hi,

I'm having quite some troubles recently with one of our 2.0.54 apaches.
At some point one child would eat up all memory available (RSS and VSZ)
and make the system almost unuseable.

The problem itself is probably related to some obscure headers issue
within apache, but that's not my question.

What I did for now to prevent the memory consumtion was to ulimit the
RSS and VSZ available to apache and for now we are quite happy with that
(and no one of our customers has complained so far :-)

Yet of course I would like to know the exact time and circumstances when
such a situtation occurs. When reaching the memory limit, apache
produces log entries like this:

-----------CUT-----------
[...]
^GOut of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
^GOut of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
^GOut of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
^GOut of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
^GOut of memory (Needed 8164 bytes)
FATAL:  erealloc():  Unable to allocate 76 bytes

Now what I would like to have is a more informative logging message,
such as which URL caused the error.

Is that possible?

Udo Rader

--