httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <d...@prime.gushi.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_frontpage state of the art
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:02:05 GMT
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Brian Candler wrote:

> What's the current best way to support frontpage publishing? [*]
>
> The two main contenders I've found are:
>
> - http://www.rtr.com/
> - http://sourceforge.net/projects/mirfak
>
> Anyone here have a view as to which is better (for your own definition of
> 'better')? I'm running Apache 1.3 under FreeBSD, and our server farm is
> proxy based, CGI requests are mod_proxied to a separate backend cluster. At
> the moment I'm getting RPC returns saying 'There is no web called ""', which
> isn't very helpful.

Brian,

These have to work together.

You need to get the frontpage support from rtr.com, and extract it the the
(very universal) /usr/local/frontpage.

>From there, to make it play nice with apache, you can compile and build
mirfak.

Doing it the "pure" rtr way requires patching your httpd source and/or
compiling a static module.  Bad juju.

Additionally, Mirfak gives you the cool ability to add apache
configuration commands per-vhost enabling or disabling the frontpage
support, so it's not "out there" for people to mess with in the event a
hole is found.

I've got this all running well.

-Dan

> I'll probably try mirfak tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had any advice
> they'd be prepared to share.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian.
>
> [*] I personally hate the idea, and don't see why end-users can't just
> configure their client to use FTP or WebDAV, but it's been given as a
> tickbox we have to have.

"You can't call yourself a dork if you don't use UNIX!"

-Dan Mahoney, May 1997