httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Hicks <johnl...@gulfbridge.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] New to Web Development
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:49:45 GMT
Executive Benefits Resources wrote:
> Sorry for the most elemental of situations but I am new to the web
> development arena and am interested in building WB-database applications
> for friends and family.  I used to be a programmer back in the early
> 70's (BAL, COBOL, FORTRAN, RPG, CRTs linked to mainframes, you get the
> picture) and I got nominated to build a web-based hobby/business.
>
> I operate on a home network consisting of a laptop with MS-Office XP
> Standard and a desktop (my son's) with MS-Office XP Professional, both
> of which are Version 2002.  I am PC literate as it relates to MS Office,
> Excel, Word and PowerPoint and have never done anything through MS DOS.
> I have high speed internet through Road Runner.
>
> I would like to initially build a web server and applications on my home
> network for learning/experimenting (no one but me will have access)
> before I venture out of my box.
>
>>>From my initial very broad-based reading, it seems I should work with
> Apache, PHP and MySQL as well learn the basics of HTML and SQL which I
> have already started.
>
> Does anyone have sources you can point me to and/or thoughts on how best
> to proceed without feeling totally overwhelmed moving forward with my
> new ambition?
>
> Thanks for any empathy and I apologize if there was a better forum for
> my question,
>
> Dave

Welcome, Dave.

I concur that the Apache, PHP, MySQL platform is the preferred route to
take.

Both PHP and MySQL have excellent references on their web sites
(complete with search facilities and user comments). In addition, both
have very active and responsive mailing lists.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/langref.php

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/index.html
http://lists.mysql.com/

If you have ever considered getting into Linux, this would be an
excellent time to do so. Most Linux distributions include Apache, PHP,
and MySQL -- all integrated and configured and ready to go. (The
resulting combination is known as the LAMP platform -- for Linux,
Apache, MySQL, PHP -- and is the most popular web development platform
around.)

You should also be sure to have a good basic understanding of the HTTP
protocol. Of all the prototcols in use on the Internet, HTTP is one of
the simplest, but many developers skip this step ... to their detriment.

Beyond that, rather than list a lot of resources, let me just say:
--The Internet is full of excellent resources on web development
--Google is your friend

Good luck!

--John Hicks