httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Missing supporting programs for HTTP server 2.0.54 on Windows
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:37:11 GMT
Prakash.Sajja@tdcj.state.tx.us wrote:

> I have no problem with installation, running the server as a service and
> connecting to it, BUT I don't find the following supporting programs
> installed, as listed at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/programs/. The
> rest of the programs are installed under <ServerRootDirectory>/bin.
>
> apachectl
   you don't need, since apache.exe -k start or using 'net start apache2'
   allows you to control the server.  On unix, you may be unable to
   invoke the httpd binary without the apachectl script to help invoke
   the bin/envvars script which sets up some dynamic link paths.

> apxs
   There is a third-party perl solution to this maintained by Randy Kobes
   which you can download from
   http://www.apache.org/dist/perl/win32-bin/apx_win32.tar.gz

> configure
   ./configure is a tool for Unix only, simply edit your conf/httpd.conf
   file on windows (almost every module is pre-built for you in modules/)

> dbmmanage
   use htdbm.exe, it's much more modern.  (I'm not certain if you can
   find dbmmanage.pl in bin/, it was effectively the same thing.)

> suexec
   doesn't work on Win32.

> httpd
   is Apache.exe (and will be called httpd.exe in the apache 2.2 release
   and apache 2.1 betas)

> log_server_status
   unfamiliar - I'll research next week

> split-logfile
   unfamiliar - I'll research next week - I'm guessing it's a wrapper
   around rotatelogs binary?