httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Johnson <john...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Configuration access restriction to public_html.
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:56:41 GMT
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On 8/3/05, Chris Johnson <johnson@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > > <Location /~>
> > > php_flag engine off
> > > </Location>
>

> >      For Apache PHP module, which we have.  Not used to using Location
> > much.  I only want to prevent its use in usr's public_html remember.
> > The above would turn it off everywhere.  Are you then saying it should
> > be reenabled for other URLs?  Can you please give an example?
>
> No -- notice the "~" above, which restricts applications to URLs
> beginning in "~".  The advantage of using <Location> is that it is
> evaluated after .htaccess files and overrides them, so it is a good
> way to assure that .htaccess files are overridden.  See
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/htaccess.html#how
>
> In your particular case, as long as you are turning on php only for
> specific directories that are not parent directories of your user
> directories, then you don't really need the <Location> section, since
> php will be off by default and your AllowOverride prevents it from
> being turned on in .htaccess files.  The <Location> section is just an
> extra guarantee.
>
> Joshua.

     I HAVE to get new eyes.  Thank you.

     Now, when I did this once before (it was a while ago) the
FileInfo override was what stopped .htaccess from doing AddType, yes?
That not being there is what does it.  Right?

Chris Johnson               |Internet: johnson@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Systems Administrator       |Web:      http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~johnson
NMR Center                  |Voice:    617.726.0949
Mass. General Hospital      |FAX:      617.726.7422
149 (2301) 13th Street      |Doctors don't save lives.  The best they can hope
Charlestown, MA., 02129 USA |to do is save life.  Not the same thing.  Me