httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paul Annesley <paul.annes...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] piped log process starting twice
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 15:35:42 GMT
Hi,

I've been experimenting with piped logging in apache 2.0.54 (Linux
2.4.30 i386), and found that when starting apache, the piped log
target program is being started, terminated, and then started again.

To demonstrate this, I have a small perl file which simply prints an
info line containing the current PID when it starts and receives any
signals.  This is the result...

(apache stopped, no log processes running)

> apachectl start
pid[12599] started
pid[12599] got SIGTERM
pid[12603] started

(PID 12603 remains running and works as expected)

All the other commands behave about as I would expect...

> apachectl restart
pid[12603] got SIGHUP
pid[12603] got SIGTERM
pid[12616] started

> apachectl graceful
pid[12616] got SIGTERM
pid[12628] started

> apachectl stop
pid[12628] got SIGTERM
pid[12628] got SIGTERM

Any ideas why the perl process is being started and then terminated
before being started again?

Thanks,
Paul