httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite mass virtual hosting and aliases
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:08:51 GMT
On 12/6/05, gregory duchesnes <gregory@icilalune.com> wrote:
> Beware, mail crossing ;)
>
> I'm beginning to understand your logic, though i don't see why it should
> be faster since you do a lookup in vhost.map for each request.
> In the case aliases are used only once in a while it could even be slower.
>
> But, if i follow your idea, and since mapping are cached, the best
> performance might be achieved with 2 maps, one for the master domain and
> one for the aliases with something, no system access in this case, am i
> right?

Probably the speed difference is not important.  Your solution
required a stat on every request (the -d), mine required a map lookup.
 But I try to avoid the -d/-f/etc options of mod_rewrite because I
find they complicate things and sometimes lead to unexpected results.

I don't think it is necessary to have two maps if your filesystem is
already structured properly for the canonical domain names.

Joshua.