httpd-users mailing list archives

From "toni pérez" <planetaenfe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] uri and location directive
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:48:24 GMT
On 4/4/06, Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> wrote:
> [...]
gets one login prompt, then he requests /apw5/rme and gets a second prompt?

this occurs in the authorization level on the apache request loop.
the user requests /apw5/rme and gets the require for /apw5

> If so, that certainly won't work with basic authentication and I don't think it is even
possible in HTTP 1.1. I understand that you written your own auth module to handle the logins
but I'm guessing it's just handling the authorization [test: what is sending the 401 response
to an unauthenticated request?]

> The HTTP 1.1 protocol assumes a single layer of authentication and there is no syntax
for expressing nested authentication realms. Even if you implemented it somehow in your handler,
the problem would then be in the browser implementation - if you assign an authentication
realm to /apw5, the browser will send credentials for every subsequent request under this
(ie, including /apw5/rme). So even if your handler sends back a 401 for /apw5/rme, the browser
will not know what to do (it sent credentials - why doesn't it work?). The results will be
unpredicatable and browser-dependent.

> Rgds,
> Owen Boyle
>

> > Why do this?
> >
> > I need a solution that isn't change the order of directives
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur
Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal
nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent
e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursičre du Groupe
SWX.

> This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary
the sender's company.