httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Restricting the number of times a file can be downloaded.
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 06:45:48 GMT

If you're looking for a directive like:

	MaxNumberOfDownloads /wibble/file.avi 100

it don't exist :-)

However, the data on file downloads is all in the logs so it could be done. You could look
to see if  somebody's written a third-party module (see http://modules.apache.org/ or google).

If you were really intent on this wacky scheme, I would handle the whole download scheme via
a server-sided program (CGI etc.)

I have to say the whole idea sounds a bit fishy to me and rather mis-guided. What are you
trying to achieve? Are you trying to control the number of copies of your file in existence,
like a "limited edition"? If so, be aware, each client can make limitless copies after they
download it...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Thanks