httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] RE: index files in subdirectories
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:36:01 GMT

This is not necessarily a permissions problem - a mod_access "Deny" also
gives this message. That's why it's important to check the error logs.

read on....

> My Document root directory has index.php in it and this does
> automatically
> load when I navigate to the directory.
> cometawiki and cometazilla are subdirectories of the
> DocumentRoot directory
> and have index.php and index.cgi in them respectively.
>
> If I put the links in the main index file as
> ./cometawiki/index.php and
> ./cometawiki/index.cgi they load if I put them as ./cometawiki/ and
> ./cometazilla/ it doesn't load them, it gives the forbidden
> message above.
>

> The error log says:
>
> [Wed Jul 12 13:48:49 2006] [error] [client <snip>] attempt to invoke
> directory as script: D:/Websites/gateway/cometawiki/, referer:
> http://<snip>/

OK - here's the problem. You are attempting to invoke a directory as if
it were a script. That is, you're trying to "execute" the directory
(obviously, that can't be done). I guess you have a misconfiguration
(ScriptAlias pointing to that dir, or AddHandler)? I actually can't
think how you can get that to happen... congratulations.

NB - that's yet another way to get a "forbidden" message; hence the
importance of error logs.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> I've snipped out the ip and url so I don't get loads of trash from
> webcrawlers :P
>
> gateway is my DocumentRoot directory where initial index.php is stored
html#a5288054
> Sent from the Apache HTTP Server - Users forum at Nabble.com.

the sender's company.