httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bill Moseley <mose...@hank.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using .htaccess in a front-end/back-end setup
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:38:55 GMT
On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 05:10:23PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> In general, I think you should tell your clients that it isn't
> possible to use .htaccess in those cases.  Even if you can get it to
> work, it would be a fragile config since you are having apache act at
> the file-system level to restrict requests that aren't served by
> apache out of the filesystem.

Thanks, that's probably best advice.  I've got a config file I use
for creating httpd.conf, and it now has sections for Redirects and
for protecting by basic auth (using <Location>) which seems to work.

They are just going to have to learn to reload the server when they
make changes.

I don't like using .htaccess, in general.

Thanks.

Oh, and using "order" didn't help either.  Not sure why, but have to
move on. ;)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org