httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache and router
Date Sun, 03 Sep 2006 16:32:58 GMT
John Tunstall wrote:
> Hi. I have a problem!
>
> I am using Apache along with a software system on a server at a club.
> The system is accessed over Internet to make bookings. There is a
> router in between the club LAN and the Internet. There is a static IP
> address for the server. The first message from the Internet to the
> club that activates two introductory screens works fine and you will
> see an example with amended - for security reasons -  IP addresses
> below. The first interaction from the customer, when booking details
> are sent to the server over Internet, causes the http IP address to
> change to that of the router after which the booking sequence falls
> over because the server can no longer be accesed over Internet.
>

> USING WEB ADDRESS
>
> First screen
>
> http://www.xxx.
>

> 2ndscreen
>
>  http://www.xxx/cgi-bin
>

> 3rd screen where problem begins and router IP address is substituted
>
> http://192.168.0.2/cgi-bin/ai

Sure will cause a problem!  You are using an address that can not EVER
be accessed via the internet.  Your 192.168... address is the NATed
address on your LAN, and is in one of the private IP ranges that works
fine on a local LAN, but not on the internet.  For someone to access
your server from the internet, they must specify (or follow a link to) a
public IP address (the WAN side of your router), or a URL that can point
to public IP address via DNS.

--
73