httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laszlo Nagy <gand...@designaproduct.biz>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] NameVirtualHost + SSL certificate problem
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:57:29 GMT

>> I need to serve many domains (designasign.biz, designateeshirt.biz,
>> shopzeus.com, mess.hu etc.) I only have one IP address, so I'm using
>> name based virtual hosts. However, I also need to do secure
>> payments on
>> two sites. I did a trick:
>>

> It's called port-based virtual hosting - perfectly OK way of getting
> more than one HTTPS site on the same IP (at the cost of having to
> specify ":444" in the URLs).

Yes, this was the idea. Thank you.

>> <VirtualHost *:444>
>>     ServerName designasign.biz
>>     ServerAlias www.designasign.biz
>>     DocumentRoot /www/designasign.biz/
>>     SSLEngine On
>>

> Move all the SSL certificate directives for this site in here, then it
> should work.

Actually, I needed to copy them. (Also see below)
>> Everything seems fine, except that apache uses the default
>> certificate
>> for both sites. (You can test it, just go to
>> https://www.shopzeus.com .)
>> Is this a limitation in Apache? If not, what is wrong with my
>> configuration? (I cannot find any error messages or warnings
>> in the logs.)
>>

> As soon as you start using virtual hosts, give up the idea of a "default
> server" and put all directives in a VH container for each server...

Yes, I did so. However, when I removed the "default" certificate from
ssl.conf, the server did not start. I did not get any error messages in
the log, except a "caught SIGTERM" message. This was my experience: I
had to specify a default certificate, even if it was not used at all.

Thank you for your help,

   Laszlo