httpd-users mailing list archives

From <oh...@cox.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] "Deadlock" msgs in error_log
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:20:19 GMT

---- Alexander Lazic <al-httpdusers@none.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mit 18.10.2006 19:32, ohaya@cox.net wrote:
> >
> >We're running Apache 2.0.55 on Solaris 9, and we are seeing a number of
> >"[error]" and "[warn]" messages in the error_log file.  The error msgs
> >occur occasionally, but the warn msgs are output quite frequently.
> >
> >The error msgs say:
> >
> >[error] [client AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD] (45) Deadlock situation
> >detected/avoided: apr_global_mutex_lock (rewrite_log_lock) failed,
> >referer: http://myhostx.xxx.com/...
> >
> >The warn msgs say:
> >
> >[warn] (45) Deadlock situation detected/avoided: ap_proxy: couldn't
> >create the lock
> >
> >Does anyone know what might be causing these and how to eliminate them?
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#acceptmutex
>
> We have *fixed* this error message with:
>
> posixsem
> and
> pthread
>
> The default mutex have been changed in the past :-(
>
> I have also asked this in the past but haven't get a answer :-(
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=111761657126915&w=2
>
> Hth
>
> Alex

Alex,

Thanks for replying.

We are running on Solaris SPARC (vs. Solaris X86).  Also, right now, we're in a test environment,
so I think there is very little traffic, but we are using rewrite (which seems to be where
the potential deadlock is happening).

Do you think that setting the AcceptMutex posixsem,pthread would also be applicable in our
case?

Also, besides the errors and warnings appearing in the Apache error log, do you think (or
know) whether these problems would cause slowdown in Apache response?

Thanks again,
Jim