httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Puccio <cpuc...@banta.com>
Subject [users@httpd] random 502 errors from mod_proxy
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:28:13 GMT
Greetings,

We have a production apache webserver using Apache/2.0.52 running redhat
enterprise 4 - kernel version 2.6.9-11.ELsmp. The apache server is
mainly running as a proxy, using mod_proxy.

This proxy directs requests to machines behind it by using ProxyPass and
ProxyPass reverse.

Lately we have been noticing a lot of requests that die at our proxy
with a status code of 502. The errors happen sporatically and we can't
seem to track down the exact problem.

On the requests that fail with 502, i see the following in the error
log:

[Wed Nov 22 12:45:52 2006] [error] [client XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX] proxy: error
reading status line from remote server XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, referer:
http://www.thesite.com/path.html
[Wed Nov 22 12:45:52 2006] [error] [client XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX] proxy: Error
reading from remote server returned by /path.html, referer:
http://www.thesite.com/path.html

I have been searching around and cannot find anything helpful to this
issue.

Does anybody have any idea where to start debugging this? Please let me
know if any further information is needed as well.

Thanks,
Chris