httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Setting up user login?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:28:17 GMT
On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 21:52:55 +0900
"Craig Hagerman" <craighagerman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is the right place for this question or not. If not,
> maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> I run a Linux server (Ubuntu) running apache 2. I am struggling to try
> to figure out how to add login to my web site. I already know about
> .htaccess files,

Don't confuse .htaccess with user authentication.  See
http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/08/01/apache_undead/

>	 but that doesn't seem to be appropriate in this case.
> .htaccess to to grant access to a directory. Rather, I want users who
> log in to be able to see links and pages only available for registered
> users. That is, I want to have a box with username/password on the web
> site, then if users enter those and click login, the page will show
> registered-user-only content. (Is this clear?)

That works if you password-protect the registered-user-only content.

If you need something more sophisticated, you'll need to specify it.
Chapter 7 of my book deals with custom authentication and login.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/