httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Michaux" <petermich...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] caching gzipped files
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 21:03:58 GMT
Hi,

I believe that mod_deflate compresses a particular resource on-the-fly
each time the resource is requested. Is this true? This repetitive
compression seems a bit wasteful for a resource that doesn't change
often. I would like to set up the following type of caching system or
something similar if possible to speed things up.

A client requests a file /javascripts/ajax.js. Apache receives the
request and examines the request to determine if the browser can
handle the gzip format. If the browser can then apache looks for a
file called /javascripts/ajax.js.gz. If the last modified date on
/javascripts/ajax.js.gz is newer than the last modified date on
/javascripts/ajax.js then apache sends /javascripts/ajax.js.gz to the
browser. If the last modified date on /javascripts/ajax.js.gz is older
than /javascripts/ajax.js then Apache (or a script that apache calls)
makes a new version of /javascripts/ajax.js.gz and send this new
version to the browser. If the browser cannot handle the gzip format
then apache just sends /javascripts/ajax.js

Is this possible? Is this very tricky? Is there an easier way?

Thank you,
Peter