httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Darren Spruell" <phatbuck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Massive number of users and authentication
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:00:52 GMT
On 1/24/07, Nestor Burma <goudron_et_plumes@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> For small numbers of users, we could play with
> .htaccess in the associated private directories, and
> some DBM or database to store the users credentials.
> But would this scale for tens of thousands of users ?
> Is there some better solution than to manage one
> .htaccess file per private directory ?

If your concern is around the authentication backend and its
performance, you should select something that allows for fast lookups.
DBM applies this concept to file-based authentication schemes, but I
don't know how it performs relative to this area. For authentication
backends, LDAP supports very very quick read operations and as such
would probably suffice for what you're after (plus for a user base
that size, you'll likely settle on something like LDAP to manage them
anyway.)

DS