httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Roger Hendrix at Baldor-IS" <RHend...@baldor.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] VeriSign signatures with Apache server
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:41:32 GMT
Greetings Nancy et al,

Please take a look at the following information:

    http://www.apache-ssl.org/docs.html#SSLVerifyClient

I think you may have coded you SSLVerifyClient statement incorrectly.

Also, about the Virtual host logs, if the following statements point to unique files for the
virtual host in question, then the errors contained in these logs refer to this virtual host
only.  If the statements point to a common set of files used by all hosts, then the errors
reported could be for any of the hosts using the log files:

    ErrorLog logs/ssl-error_log
    TransferLog logs/ssl-access_log

Best regards.

Roger Hendrix
Information Services
-----Original Message-----
From: Booterbaugh, Nancy [mailto:nbooterbaugh@Elemica.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 10:20 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Verisign signatures with Apache server

Roger et al,
Thanks for your help.  I have been able to resolve the Private key issue by installing the
new Verisign certificates, but now I am running into a new issue:

Error_Log has the following warning message :   Session Cache is not configured [hint: SSLSessionCache]

ssl-error_log has the following error message :    [error] Unable to configure verify locations
for client authentication

I use following command to start the Apache server instead of "apachectl":
./httpd -k start -f /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd-cob-certs.conf
Here is the Virtual host configuration we have in the "httpd-cob-certs.conf" file. The only
difference between this and the one we were using for self-signed is the directory location
in the SSL parameters.

<VirtualHost serverName:PortNumber>
ProxyRequests Off
SSLProxyEngine On
ProxyVia On
RequestHeader set Front-End-Htps "On"
SSLEngine On
SSLProtocol ALL
SSLCertificateFile /export/home/pp/newVersignCerts/pubkey.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /export/home/pp/newVersignCerts/key.key
SSLCACertificateFile /export/home/pp/newVersignCerts/IntermediateCA.crt
SSLVerifyClient require
SSLVerifyDepth 1
SSLCACertificatePath /app1/webMethods6/IntegrationServer/config/certs/cas
#end of setup the Require Certificate
ErrorLog logs/ssl-error_log
TransferLog logs/ssl-access_log
ProxyPass /  <https://ServerName:PortNumber/> https://ServerName:PortNumber/
ProxyPassReverse /  <https://ServerName:PortNumber/> https://ServerName:PortNumber/

ProxyPreserveHost On
</VirtualHost>

Did you get this resolved? Private key issue has been resolved by installing the new verisign
certs.
If not, then what OS version and APACHE version are you running on?
Its Solaris9 & Apache2
When does the error occur?
When we start the Apache server with Verisign certs the warning & error messages are logged
in the Error_log and ssl-error_log files. The strange thing is we dont get any issue when
using self-signed certs.

Did you enable logging at the Virtual host level? If so, have you looked at the logs.
I m not sure, Could you tell us how do we check if logging is enabled at Virtual host level?
Where can we find the log files?