httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] VIRTUAL HOSTS
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:56:04 GMT

It is not required. If you don't do this, default requests (eg, with
just the IP address and no hostname like http://192.168.1.1/) will be
served by the "main" config.

However, it is *recommended* you put all sites in separate VHs just for
organisation reasons (it's like putting files into directories instead
of keeping all your files right at the top...).

> My second question is,
> i have three subdomains. domain1.myhost.com, domain2.myhost.com, and
> domain3.myhost.com.
> Only domain1.myhost.com is intended to serve as ssl
> and has been declared in the virtual host to use port 443.
>
> Now Whenever other subdomains are accessed by https://, apache
> serve the files directory from domain1.myhost.com even though these
> subdomains have not been declared to be used as ssl.

All sites have the same IP, right? SSL requests can only be
distinguished by TCP/IP (ie IP and port) - not by the domain name. See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts2

> How do I configure apache to serve only the files that are
> intended for
> use with ss (in this case domain1.myhost.com).

What do you want to happen if someone requests
https://domain2.myhost.com/ ?

> Has this something to do with the main server not bein moved
> to the virtual host block ?

No.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

PS- Pls stop adding your personal address to the Reply-to field - go via
the list....

> Thanks
> bashiro
>
> Bashiro