httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Yvo van Doorn" <yvo.vando...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Novice
Date Sun, 04 Feb 2007 03:30:34 GMT
On 2/3/07, Steven Pierce <pagedev1@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> On 2/3/2007 at 7:54 PM Morten Bo Ølbye wrote:
>
> >I have just installed Apace on my xp.
> >Can anyone gide me to where to start.
> >I have edited the html file, that works.
> >But about controlling the server, I am blank.
> >Br. Morten

> OK.. what do you mean controlling the server?  XP is not a server
> O/S.  You need win SERVER 03 to be a server.

That is not correct either. Any OS can be classified as a server. If a
computer is "serving" content whether its a web page or Active
Directory it is a "server". So Windows XP can be a server, just not
the type of server that Windows 2003 Server can be (Active Directory,
File, Print, Sharepoint, etc etc). You can setup Windows XP to be a
HTTP server and it could power a website just as capable as Windows
2003 Server.

So remember. Server  = ANY type of OS as long as it is SERVING (get
it?) content.