httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] FAVICO.ICO
Date Sun, 04 Feb 2007 15:55:15 GMT

On Feb 4, 2007, at 4:41 AM, Bashiro wrote:

> I have this virtual hosts setup. I tested and was working fine.
> Suddenly I started getting this error page cannot be displayed.
> I checke the error log and found cannot find "favico.ico".
> why do I need this file.
> Any suggestion on how to solve this ?

The favicon or Favorites Icon is the little icon that shows up to the
left of the URL in the location bar of the browser.  I believe
Internet Explorer started this, but all modern browsers now try to
retrieve this file along with the page.  If it doesn't exist, you'll
get a generic browser-defined icon in the location bar, and a line in
the error log on your server.

There is a favicon.ico in your Apache installation, under manual/
images . Copy that to the DocumentRoot of your virtual host. It has a
little Apache feather logo, if you want to serve a favicon that
corresponds to your site content, design your own. Google for the
exact format.

A missing favicon.ico does not cause errors displaying the page. If
that were the case, half the websites on the planet wouldn't work.
Find out what exactly the error is: turn off 'Friendly Error
Messages' in IE or use a real browser that'll tell you what goes wrong.

S.