httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jan Algermissen <algermissen1...@mac.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_rewrite prg: synching impacted by backhand server crashes?
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 07:41:10 GMT
Hi,

I have a question regarding the impact of backhand server crashes in
an Apache 2.0 reverse proxy setup that makes use of mod_rewrite's
external mapping program functionality. We did configure the rewrite
lock to protect the pipe access and usually everything works just fine.

When the backhand server (the one the reverse proxy sends requests
to) is rebooted, though, the pipe synching seems to fail and we start
see what you would expect without a lock in place.

Is it possible that mod_proxy's reaction to aborted connections to
the backhand server impacts the mutex locking of the pipe to the
external program?

We use Apache 2.0 on Solaris 8 and a Perl script as the external
mapping program. I am quite confident we got all the potential
problems mentioned in the docs right (such as the lock and setting
STOUT to binmode in the Perl prog).

Thanks for any hints or comments.

Jan

P.S. I have seen that there have been significant changes in
mod_rewrite's pipe reading from Apache 2.0 to 2.2, maybe this already
fixes the problems?