httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Philip Rhoades" <philip.rhoa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problems with mod_proxy etc and open proxy
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:25:38 GMT
Graeme,

On 6/2/07, Graeme Fowler <graeme@graemef.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 10:59 +1000, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> > Not sure what you mean - do you mean load the page:
> >
> >    http://www.sun.com/
> >
> > into my browser on the same machine that is running httpd? - that just
> > returns the sun page . .
>
> No, I mean have you connected to your webserver using an appropriate
> text-based client such as netcat or good ol' telnet and asked it for the
> same thing? Something like this:
>
> [graeme@ernie ~]$ telnet www.graemef.net 80
> Trying 82.113.142.73...
> Connected to www.graemef.net (82.113.142.73).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET http://www.sun.com/ HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.graemef.net
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 08:01:25 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.2.0 (Fedora)
> Last-Modified: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:13:59 GMT
> ETag: "1297e0-1c7-e8fc0fc0"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
>
> <snip the rest of mt default site>
>
> Note: this does not return Sun's site!

Yes, you are quite right (although I had to leave off the "HTTP/1.1"
to get it to work) but this raises further questions:

- Why are some requests generating 404 etc responses and these ones
generating 200 reponses?

- What is the point of sending someone to the sun site? - is it a DoS
attack on my site?

- Does someone actually see my home page come up?

Thanks again!

Phil.