httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Staf Wagemakers" <staf.wagemak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to access virtual hosts from another pc ?
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:25:21 GMT
On 6/1/07, Tony Benham <tonyb@kerrisway.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>  I want to have two sites running on a win2003 server machine in our
> network
> which has a single ip address.
> I have setup apache 2.0.59 with two name based virtual hosts, and modified
>
> the hosts file to allow me to access the sites by name.
> The entries in httpd.conf are
> NameVirtualHost *:80
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>    DocumentRoot C:\Bugzilla
>    ServerName bugzilla
> </VirtualHost>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>    DocumentRoot C:\avdp
>    ServerName avdp
> </VirtualHost>
> The hosts file contains
> 127.0.0.1 bugzilla
> 127.0.0.1 avdp
>
> On that pc I can now browse the 2 sites using http://avdp, http://bugzilla
>
> Now I want to access the sites from other machines on the network, but I'm
> unclear how I set this up ?
> I did setup a dns cname for each site, ie avdp and bugzilla pointing to
> the win2003server machine, but I always get the first site listed, if I
> browse either site.

Name Virtual  Hosts  works only with HTTP 1.1 so the first step is verify
that your browser (and proxy if you're using one) supports HTTP 1.1.
Normally you can find the HTTP version of the session in your access log.

An other problem can be the dns, does it works if you modify the hosts file
on the remote pc? ( with the ip-addresses of the server of course :-) ) ?

--
Staf Wagemakers   - http://www.wagemakers.be