httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Dalton <aa...@daltons.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSL pass phrase
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:58:11 GMT
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Tony Heal wrote:

> I am using apache v 1.3.34-4.1 and openssl on Debian and I have set up SSL, Although
I can restart apache using the init
> script without issue I get prompted for a pass phrase if I stop and start apache. This
is a problem if I have a power
> loss as apache will wait in the background until it receives a pass phrase. Is there
a way around this without
> regenerating the server.key?

AFAIK there is no way around this.  If you do not want Apache to wait for
a pass phrase, you have to strip the private key of encryption.  This of
course has multiple security problems, but I'm afraid those are your only
options that I am aware of.

$ openssl rsa -in encryptedkey.pem -out strippedkey.pem

--
Aaron Dalton
http://perlkonig.com