httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Mod_rewrite not an option?
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 06:21:45 GMT

ssab.sigma.se/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?>
URL=http://www.organization.org/myname>  I'm redirected to a
URL=http://www.organization.org/somedir/?id_nr=12345>

> I'd like to keep the "pretty" name of
> www.organization.org/myname

Are you a client? That is, you don't run the server, you just visit the
website? If so, you can hardly expect to define the URL of the pages you
visit... What happens if another user, Fred, *likes* the "ugly" URL
format?

URL=http://www.organization.org/myname>  but when asked if
> they can implement mod_rewrite (they use Apache and Linux) I
> get the answer that this is not possible due to some
> technical reason that they won't tell me.
>
> My question is if you on this list that know a lot about
> mod_rewrite can tell me if they're just trying to avoid doing
> what I asked,

Probably...

> or if there really can be a technical reason
> why mod_rewrite can't be used.

Or that too... Could be they have very stripped-down, lean and mean
apache and didn't compile mod_rewrite. Or could be they don't know/can't
be bothered configuring it.

> I'm guessing they're using some sort of template to generate
> my page as there are lots of others with the same layout and
> functionality.
>
> And it seems that the redirection is done via javascript as
> the "noscript" extension to firefox seems to prevent the
> redirection and show me a default error page (page not
> found). This error-page seems to be loaded during redirection
> as I sometime can see the "page not found" header before
> being redirected to the proper page (with noscript set to
> allow or using IE).

If they're doing the redirect via JS (ie client-side) then they're not
using mod_rewrite. If they've chosen this (rather convoluted) way of
doing things then they must've had their reasons. Since you're not in
control of the server, it's impossible to advise you.

> For obvious reasons I don't want to tell which organization
> it is as I don't want to embarras anyone.

Maybe, but if you had told us, we could've visited the site and, by
looking at the HTTP headers with (for example) LiveHTTPheaders in FF,
told you in five minutes exactly what's going on.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> I hope you can
> understand that. And help would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Oscar

the sender's company.