httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_negotiation: prefer-type cookie? (as prefer-language)
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 18:50:54 GMT
On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Daniel Aleksandersen
<aleksandersen+apache.org@runbox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Taken from the example were the Accept-Language (and it qualifiers) HTTP
>  header is overridden by a cookie set in the user's browser; from
>  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/content-negotiation.html#better :
>  SetEnvIf Cookie "lang=(.+)" prefer-language=$1 Header append Vary cookie
>
>  But can this be done with the Accept HTTP header as well? Is there an
>  environmental variable that can be used to override the default
>  negotiation method for the Content-Type as well? I had visioned something
>  like the below, but I have not found anything in the documentation.
>  SetEnvIf Cookie "type=(.+)" prefer-type=$1 Header append Vary cookie
>
>  If this is an undocumented or unsupported featureā€¦ How can I achieve the
>  same result using other approaches? Basically I want to offer the user a
>  way to override the default content negotiation method. Like with the
>  prefer-language option.

No, there is no similar environment variable to override type selection.

If you don't need full content negotiation -- that is, you are able to
boil your selection algorithm down to a few simple rules and you don't
need to worry about preference priorities, etc -- then you can use
mod_rewrite to do this based on the Accept header and the cookie.

Joshua.