httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Bowman <ebow...@boboco.ie>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.2.3 and load balancing
Date Sun, 01 Jun 2008 17:10:45 GMT
Sander Temme wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2008, at 1:05 AM, Eric Bowman wrote:
>
>> I'm in a situation (RHEL 5.1) where the only "supported" version of
>> Apache is 2.2.3.  We are wishing to avail of the session affinity
>> load balancing features in mod_proxy_balancer, and I'm wondering what
>> the general consensus is on how suitable that version is regarding
>> that feature.
>
> Are you using the Red Hat supplied version of Apache?  Keep in mind
> that they backport patches from later 2.2 releases and from trunk, but
> their version number stays the same.
>
> Review the source RPM to see what's really going on.  It has its own
> Changes file.
>
> Even if you were to use vanilla 2.2.3, do you have any information
> that the features you need were not up to snuff in that version?
>
> In any case I'd recommend that you set up a test installation and see
> if what you need to work, works.  That way you have your own benchmark.

Thanks.  I didn't realize they backport but don't up the version.  I'm
not aware of anything in particular that's not up to snuff, I'm mostly
wondering if there is anything I should look out for.  I seem to recall
somebody mentioning that prior to 2.2.4 the session affinity stuff
wasn't /quite/ ready for primetime.

Anyhow, yes, we are testing, and we had a hiccup which turned out to be
a configuration problem, but it raised some concerns so I figured I'd
ask the group.

Thanks,
Eric

--