httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] very odd vhost 8085 problem
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2008 10:19:42 GMT
dave selby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a very strange problem, I have apache2 setup with a vhost ...
>

> Listen 8085
> NameVirtualHost *:8085
>
> <VirtualHost *:8085>
>
>     ServerName kmotion
>     ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
>     DocumentRoot /home/dave/kmotion2/www/kmotion_www
>
>     <Directory /home/dave/kmotion2/www/kmotion_www>
>         Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
>         AllowOverride None
>         Order allow,deny
>         allow from all
>
> 	AddHandler mod_python .py
>         PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
> 	# Display python errors to web browser - useful for debug
>         PythonDebug On
>
>         # secure login ...
>         AuthType Basic
>
>         # ** INFORMATION ** Users digest file enabled ...
>         AuthName "kmotion"
>         AuthUserFile /home/dave/kmotion2/www/passwords/users_digest
>
>         Require valid-user
>     </Directory>
>
>     # Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
>     LogLevel warn
>
>     ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error_kmotion.log
>     CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access_kmotion.log combined
>
>     Alias /images/ /home/dave/kmotion2/www/kmotion_www/images/
>
> </VirtualHost>
>

> So apache2 and the website I am developeing and all are all running on
> my laptop. All works as expected except when I try to access my
> website localhost:8085 when I am on line (which should be irrelevant)
> but when I am off line apache2 appears to not see my requests to
> :8085.
> There is nothing in the apache logs, its like my vhost just does not get loaded.
>
> Any ideas anyone, puts a kink in my off line development !

There's a whole bunch of things that may be happening or not here,
depending on the exact circumstances.
But if your vhost is "getting loaded" when you are on-line, there is no
reason why Apache would not load it when you are off-line.
My bet is that you have a problem with DNS (translation of "kmotion"
into an IP address), not with your Apache server, but with your browser.
So,
1) What kind of OS is your laptop running ?
2) Does your laptop "know" the IP address of "kmotion" ?
(open a terminal/command window and type "ping kmotion". Does it tell
you it cannot find "kmotion" ?)