httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSI/server-side includes and symbolic links/SymlinkIfOwnerMatch
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2008 16:58:32 GMT
Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
>
>> If you are not using RewriteRules then in .htaccess write
>>
>> Options -FollowSymLinks
>>
>> This will disable the working of RewriteRules also!
>>
>> If you are using RewriteRules, create a symlink and using FilesMatch
>> specify the above option for the symlink name.
>
> My objective is to have SymlinkIfOwnerMatch apply; I actually did try
> putting -FollowSymLinks in a top level <Directory /> config, but the SSI
> include *still* followed the symlink.
>
> My question is whether or not it is expected that SSI includes will ignore
> the Apache symbolic link following configuration, or if it is a bug? (Or
> if I'm just doing something stupid, which is always a possibility)...

Without commenting on the last part of the question, you might want to
make sure that you are not getting bitten by this, as many people
(including me) have been :

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html
(read the very last paragraph carefully)

In other words, check if by any chance you do not have some <Location>
section negating all your configuration snippets for that <Directory>.

Example :
DocumentRoot /var/www/mydocs
<Directory /var/www/mydocs/mydir>
   some options here
</Directory>
... many lines in-between ...
<Location /mydir>
   other options here
</Location>

would make the options in <Location /mydir> prevail over the ones in the
<Directory> section.
It can be more insidious..