httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite rule
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:46:53 GMT
Eric Covener wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Seb <spluque@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having trouble specifying a seemingly very simple rewrite rule in
>> .htaccess, where I simply want to redirect from say
>> http://some.host.com/path to http://some.host.com/Path, and any
>> subdirectories of course.  I thought this would do it:
>>
>> RewriteRule  ^path(.*)$  /Path$1  [last]
>>
>> but it doesn't.  Any help would be appreciated.
>

> What does it do?  Can you enable the RewriteLog?  Do you have
> RewriteEngine on? Are your htaccess files being read (AllowOverride
> none)

Hi.  Sorry to butt in with what may look at first unrelated to the
problem at hand, but.

I regularly see on this list a bunch of questions related to
RewriteRule's used in .htaccess files.

On the other hand, in the Apache 2.2 mod_rewrite on-line help, there is
this paragraph :
RewriteRule  can be used in per-directory config files (.htaccess). In
such a case, it will act locally, stripping the local directory prefix
before processing, and applying rewrite rules only to the remainder.
When processing is complete, the prefix is automatically added back to
the path.

Now, isn't the above (the original OP question) kind of a
chicken-and-egg issue ?

I mean, before Apache even gets to the .htaccess file, it has to find
the path to the directory wher the .htaccess file is.  And once it finds
it, it would have to re-interpret that same path and change it.
It does not seem to make a lot of sense..

Now, if instead of being in the .htaccess file, it was in the
httpd.conf, then it would be another matter.