httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] File upload to Apache server without third party software
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 13:37:49 GMT
Brian Mearns wrote:
[...]
Thanks Brian, I agree with what you wrote.

Prasanth, maybe the correct place to start is here :
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html

The various HTTP "methods" are described in section 9.2 and later.
I suggest to start reading from the beginning however.
The way in which Apache and some of its modules work (or any other web
server for that matter), are only understandable when you have at least
a basic understanding of the HTTP protocol.
By telling you that, we are trying to help you.  The questions you are
asking, and the way you are asking them, makes us think that you are
missing some basic parts of the puzzle.

For example, Brian mentioned WebDav.
You will find how to set it up in Apache here :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_dav.html#dav
Installing Dav in Apache will allow you to send PUT requests, including
a file to upload to your server. It will do that right out-of-the-box,
which is what you seem to want.

But, do you notice the red box in the middle of the page ?

It tells you that unless you know exactly what you are doing, anybody
having access to your webserver is going to be able to download any file
from your computer, or upload any file to it.  For example, /etc/passwd.
It is much like making the C:\ directory of your PC into a network
share, with read/write permission to Everyone.
I am quite sure you do not want that.