httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Turner <synfina...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Apache (php5/fcgi) can't resolve hostnames
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:31:52 GMT
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Krist van Besien
<krist.vanbesien@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Aaron Turner <synfinatic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nobody has any ideas???
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Aaron Turner <synfinatic@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> At first I thought this was a problem with my python/fastcgi config,
>>> but now I've noticed that php5 apps like Wordpress can't resolve hosts
>>> either.  Resolving hosts works just fine on the command line via the
>>> "host" command though so it's not like DNS is broken.  Hence it seems
>>> that the common link is apache.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to
>>> debug this?
>>>
>>> OS X 10.5.6
>>> Apache 2.2.11 (via MacPorts)
>
> We have lots of ideas, but you should provide us with more information
> about your problem before we can help you.
>
> You say that "php5.apps can't resolve hosts". What do you mean by
> that? What is it that you are doing, what are you expecting, and what
> are you getting in stead of what you expect?

I mean that PHP/Python code running under Apache is attempting to
connect to other hosts and in doing so is requiring a DNS hostname
lookup to resolve the IP address.  This lookup is failing, which
prevents the connection from succeeding.

For example, Wordpress w/ the Aksimet plugin tries to resolve
<mykey>.api.akismet.com.  This works just fine from the command line,
but returns an error "Unable to resolve host".   Trac (running under
fastcgi/python) is having issues resolving hosts for re-captcha.
Again, this works just fine from a shell.

It's not just anti-spam things either.  Wordpress couldn't resolve
twitter.com in order to pull an RSS feed.  However, once I added an
entry for twitter.com to my /etc/hosts, the problem went away.  This
was my smoking gun.

Another PHP application (Gallery) is also having dns resolving issues
for Akismet (same service, different codebase).

For a long time I thought this was just a PHP issue and then I noticed
Trac (which isn't PHP) was having the same issue.  The only
commonality is that both run under Apache.  Other services (postfix
for example) on the same box have no issue resolving hosts.

Of course, maybe they're two totally unrelated issues, but it seems
like too big of a coincidence to ignore.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/