httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache fails to show jpg and not find files
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 18:27:52 GMT
Hi.

Maybe the very first thing you need to do, if you are going to use your
email program to post to lists such as this one, is to turn off all
these nice features like "view as html" and "send as html".  View and
compose and send as plain text, or you are going to confuse yourself and
others no end, specially if what you want to include is html is the
first place.

The second thing is to just decide once and for all how you download the
pages from the original server, and then stick to one way for now.  In
other words, you have downloaded the pages one way or another, and they
are now as they are, and we will try to understand what is going on.  If
you keep on changing the contents of the pages as we are trying to help,
you are going to get everyone confused again, including yourself.

Next, what you show in your log below and seem to consider as a problem
(accesses to a directory instead of a file), is actually normal.  When
the browser asks Apache for a document at "/a/b/c/d/index.html", Apache
will explore this whole path, element by element. So it will first look
for "/a", and if it doesn't even find that, it will log an error in the
log for "/a" and not go any further.
Similarly, if it finds "/a" and then "/a/b", and then "/a/b/c", but then
not "/a/b/c/d", it will log an error for that, and never even look for
"/a/b/c/d/index.html".

Next, Apache itself will do fine with links as long as you want, as long
as it can actually find what the browser is telling it to find under the
DocumentRoot. The user-id under which Apache is running also needs to be
able at least to read all these directories and files.  So verify this,
so that we are not chasing the wrong issue (we don't know which lines
you are /not/ showing us from your logs).

And finally, the important part is to figure out what the browser is
actually asking for.
You can figure that from your Apache access logs.
Check first if the access logs actually shows accesses to files that
really exist on your disk, where the browser is asking for them.
Either the browser is asking for the wrong thing (due to incorrect links
in the pages), or else the browser is asking for the right thing, but
the asked-for document really isn't there.
What is it ?

Suggestion :
- stop Apache
- delete all the logs
- start Apache
- in your browser, start with the very top document, then step by step
check your access log, verifying that what you think the browser should
be asking for at each browser click, is really what it is asking for.

At the first discrepancy, stop and post the relevant access log lines.