httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache and ColdFusion
Date Sat, 02 May 2009 18:37:53 GMT
Jason Todd Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My quest is going slowly but surely and I am learning a lot.
>
> I use ColdFusion. I installed in on My CentOS 5.3 instance and all was
> well.

I guess the first question would be : does this really have anything to
do with Apache httpd ?  It seems like this should rather be something to
post on a Coldfusion support group, maybe ?

Personally, I don't know anything about Coldfusion, but I'll try
answering from an Apache perspective.

> I added: DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var index.php index.cfm
> index.cfml
> to httpd.conf and restarted.
>
> I put an index.cfm page in /var/www/html and removed the standard
> index.html and I can see when I hit my IP it works.
>
> I then created virtual hosts for a few coldfusion websites in
> httpd.conf and added the directories to /var/www/html
>
> One thing I notice is the owner/group is 501 and games like:
>
> drwxr-xr-x  5  501 games 4096 Apr 25 23:57 www_sheldony_com
>
> Is this normal? I just did a simply mkdir statement. Did I screw
> something up?

I guess it all depends which user you were when you did this mkdir.
It's a bit strange that it shows numerical uid/gid, and not names.
My guess is that your Coldfusion installation created /var/www/html
under these uid/gid, without creating the corresponding user/group on
your system.
It also may have created /var/www/html with some permission bits (or
ACLs) that make it so that any file created under it will have these
same uid/gid.

> And when I try to hit an index.cfm page Firefox prompts me to download
> binary data.
Does differently to me with your examples below.

> When I try to hit the CF Administrator I get the same 'binary' data
> file download.
Id.

> I am running CF on port 80 as I need to.
Again, I guess something to do with Coldfusion.

After your examples below, I show the HTTP headers returned to my
Firefox (viewed using the Firefox plugin name "HttpFox", very useful
thing to have).

> Examples that works: http://67.23.34.37/

(Status-Line)	HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date	Sat, 02 May 2009 18:21:43 GMT
Server	Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
Last-Modified	Fri, 01 May 2009 23:19:42 GMT
Etag	"1c1fd-719-468e20c1d7f80"
Accept-Ranges	bytes
Content-Length	1817
Connection	close
Content-Type	text/html; charset=UTF-8

This one seems to be delivered by the server as "text/html", so it
displays ok.

> Does not work: http://67.23.34.37/cfide/administrator
(Status-Line)	HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date	Sat, 02 May 2009 18:21:07 GMT
Server	Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
Last-Modified	Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:06:32 GMT
Etag	"685cf-3620-448b273dbb600"
Accept-Ranges	bytes
Content-Length	13856
Connection	close
Content-Type	text/plain; charset=UTF-8

But this one is delivered a "text/plain", meaning that for the moment
the Apache server has no bloody idea what this file might be, so
delivers it as "plain text".

Assuming that Coldfusion is some add-on application that one can install
under Apache httpd, it appears that there are some bits and pieces
missing.  These bits and pieces should tell Apache for instance what
these ".cfm" files are, and maybe what add-on module should take care of
delivering them to the client with the proper content-type.

But again, this is not really an Apache issue.
Apache does what it is told to do : deliver this file to the browser.
It seems to do it.

Repeat : ask on a support forum for Coldfusion, you may get better answers.