httpd-users mailing list archives

From Raja Shekar CS <rshe...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] httpd service not starting on Windows 2008 (64bit) through Microsoft Failover Cluster
Date Mon, 04 May 2009 11:57:19 GMT
Hi !

I am facing an issue in bringing up httpd (2.2.10) configured in Microsoft
Failover Cluster (MSCS) on Windows 2008 64 bit system.

This problem is seen only on Windows 2008 64bit system and through Microsoft
Failover Cluster only. The service starts fine on the same system outside
when started directly from Service Control Manager.

Could you please let me know if you have seen similar issue, and know of any
work around or solution ?

Error noticed:

When the service is started from Failover Cluster manager, ~20 events are
seen in event viewer (basically printing the syntax help spread over many
events):

The Apache service named  reported the following error:
>>> Usage: C:\\Program Files (x86)\\DFM\\bin\\httpd.exe [-D name] [-d
directory] [-f file]     .
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Apache Service" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>The Apache service named</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>reported the following error:&gt;&gt;&gt;</Data>
    <Data>Usage: C:\\Program Files (x86)\\DFM\\bin\\httpd.exe [-D name] [-d
directory] [-f file]</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

My guess is that httpd is not accepting "-k runservice" argument for some
reason and printing the syntax help.
I read on earlier mail on apache mail list that "-k runservice" is accepted
by httpd only if it is started by service control manager as part of the
kernel:

http://markmail.org/message/4irgpoeth7ccl3c5

I have checked with Microsoft Support, and they confirmed that failover
cluster starts the service by using the service control manager and not
directly. Also, since it works fine on Windows 2008 32bit system, I am
really confused.

What works:

- starting the service directly from Service Control Manager (on the same
system)
- starting httpd.exe as an application (not as a service) on the same system
through Failover Cluster Manager
- starting the service from Failover Cluster Server or Service Control
Manager on Windows 2008 32bit system, or Windows 2003

httpd version - 2.2.10
Windows Version - Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Service Pack 1
(Build 6001) x64 based
The issue was seen on multiple cluster setups and also on Windows 2008 64bit
VMs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
--
~ Raj ~