httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Connection reset by peer messages.
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:47:47 GMT
Brent Clark wrote:
> Hiya
>
> I keep seeing this message.
>
> Connection reset by peer: ap_content_length_filter: apr_bucket_read()
> failed,
>
> I tried googling, but nothing concrete is returning.
>
> If anyone could help me understand this, and / or help me in what I need
> to do to fix this, it would be appreciated.

There may not be much you can do to "fix it".
It generally really means what it says : Apache is trying to read the
content of a client request, but the client closed the connection in the
middle, before Apache received all the data that was promised in the
request's "Content-Length" header.

Typically, this happens when a browser is submitting a POST request to
the server, but the user gets impatient and clicks on "cancel", or moves
to another page.  The browser then interrupts the POST and closes the
connection to the server.

There can of course be a host of other reasons, such as network issues,
a proxy or router in-between who is acting up etc..

But the gist is that there is not much that you can do on the server
side to prevent this.
Maybe a popup to the user when they click the submit button, letting
them know that this takes a while and to please wait until they get an
OK message, is your best bet.