httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: excessive dns slows httpd
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:43:14 GMT
Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:00:54 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:24:25 +0100, Tom Evans wrote:
>>
>>> HostNameLookups
>> HostNameLookups Off
>> in the only place it appears.  Perhaps I should compare all files in
>> conf.d on my two machines.
>>
>> Mike.
>>
> [...]
>
> I did the comparison and the contents of conf.d on my two
> boxes are identical except that the Fedora box has
> BackupPC.conf, which does not appear on the CentOS box.
> Examining BackupPC.conf, it appears to me to have
> nothing relevant.

Of course you realise that nobody here is really believing you..
;-)
I mean, here are two Linux systems, with the same kind of processor, not
too different versions of kernel nor apache, and identical (to some
extent) config files.
Yet one appears to do tons of DNS lookups, and the other one not.
Logic would have it that there /is/ something different somewhere in
either the configuration, or some file(s) you are not thinking about
right now, that make the difference.
You mentioned that you saw the DNS lookups in wireshark.
Can you tell what these DNS lookups are for ?
Have you compared the DNS setup of the servers (meaning their
/etc/resolv.conf and e.g. whether one of them is running dnsmasq and the
other one not, or something like that) ?